Listed on the historical record as “The Baldwin Building”, 1209 Hull Street was built in 1905 and designed by D. Wiley Anderson. Originally a dry goods store, the original proprietor H. V. Baldwin started the business in Farmville, VA with his father as R. A. Baldwin & Sons. It later became part of the Thalhimers Department Store chain in 1958. Later the building was converted to a vintage bookstore as evidenced by the “Old Books” sign on the front before eventually being boarded up and going out of service.
Church Hill Ventures is doing the historic rehabilitation of the 20,727 square foot building. The existing building is proposed to contain 5,500 square feet of commercial restaurant space, 16 apartments, and a rooftop deck. Plans are being formulated for a potential newly constructed outbuilding adjacent to the rear of the existing building.